Our Department of Pediatrics ensures that your child will receive high-quality, international pediatric outpatient and inpatient care while your family is here in Beijing. Our pediatricians have many years of experience in caring for children here in China and internationally. They are trained to prevent and manage healthcare problems in infants, children, teens, and young adults. Children have different health care needs from adults and may be too young or shy to talk. Our international staff understands the physical, emotional, and social development of children. Children often present different symptoms from those that adults may present, and need different medications and treatments. Our pediatricians are especially trained to recognize the importance of these differences, especially in young children and newborns.
We provide comprehensive care for children in Beijing, including preventive care. We work closely with other professionals including those in our Departments of Family Counseling, Integrative Medicine, and Surgery to evaluate and recommend treatment for children with special needs. We are also committed to helping you find pediatric subspecialty care if needed.
Department of Pediatrics at Beijing United Family Hospital hours:
- Monday – Sunday: 8:30 am – 5:30 pm
Please call (010) 5927 7222 to make an appointment.
- 24hr Service Center: 4008-919191
24/7 Pediatric Emergency Care:
- Beijing United Family Hospital (BJU) offers pediatric emergency care, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Come in and see a pediatrician when your family needs it the most; it is not necessary to make an appointment.
Chair of Pediatric Department, Neonatologist & Pediatrician
VILLANUEVA, Salvador Jr
Pediatrician, Associate Chief Physician
CALIGAGAN, Christian T.
Pediatrician, Attending Physician
APD, RD, Registered Dietitian
Pediatrician, Associate Chief Physician
Pediatrician, Associate Chief Physician
Outpatient Pediatric Sub-specialty Services
We offer specialty services in the following areas:
- Pediatric General Surgery Clinic
- Pediatric Orthopedic Clinic
- Pediatric Cardiology Clinic
- Pediatric Hematology Clinic
- Adolescent Medicine Clinic
- Special Needs Children’s Clinic
- Pediatric Nutrition Clinic
- Pediatric Nephrology Clinic
- Pediatric Neurology Clinic
- Pediatric Gastroenterology（GI）Clinic
- Pediatric Endocrinology Clinic
- Pediatric Asthma Clinic
- Child Developmental Screening Clinic
- High-Risk Infants Follow-up Clinic
- Pediatric Speech Therapy Clinic
Outpatient Same-day Services for Sick Children
Our same day pediatric clinic provides care for children with illnesses and injuries. All children get sick at one time or another. Minor illnesses like colds and coughs are common, especially children in school where they are exposed to more infections from other children. It is also common for children to have many minor injuries, as well as other medical problems that need attention. If you are not sure if your child needs to see a pediatrician, you can always call the clinic. Our office staff can often tell you over the phone and if needed, set up an appointment for you. The pediatrician or nursing staff may give advice over the phone if an office visit is not needed.
Please make same a day sick appointment if your child has:
- Vomiting and diarrhea that lasts for more than a few hours
- Rash, especially if there is also a fever
- Any cough or cold that does not get better in several days or a cold that gets worse and is accompanied by a fever
- Cuts that might need stitches
- Limping or is not able to more arm or leg
- Ear pain with fever, is unable to sleep or eat, is vomiting, has diarrhea or is acting ill
- Drainage from an ear
- Sore throat or problems swallowing
- Sharp or persistent pains in the abdomen or stomach
- A temperature greater than 38 degrees or higher in a baby younger than 2 months of age
- Fever and vomiting at the same time
- Not eaten for more than one day
Outpatient Well-child Preventive Services
Regular visit to the pediatrician are a key part of preventive health care. At each well visit the pediatrician will fully examine your child. This check-up gives your child’s pediatrician a chance to:
- Make sure your child is eating well, growing well, and is healthy
- Track your child’s growth and development
- Update immunizations
- Find physical problems before they become serious
- Help inform you on how to keep your child healthy and safe
- Answer all of your questions
Recommended healthcare visits for well children
- Before your baby is born (especially for first time parents)
- During the first year of life: visits at about 2 weeks of life, and also at 2, 4, 6, 9, and 12 months of age
- During the second year of life: visits at 15, 18, and 24 months of age
- In early childhood: yearly visits from 2 through 5 years of age
- During the early school years: visits at 6, 8, and 10 years of age
- In adolescence and early adulthood: yearly visits from 11 through 21 years of age
Our clinic works closely with our hospital Emergency Room which is open 24 hours a day, 7 days per week. Please take your child to the Emergency Room IMMEDIATELY if they have:
- Bleeding that does not stop after applying pressure for 5 minutes
- Suspected poisoning
- Seizures (rhythmic jerking and loss of consciousness)
- Increasing trouble with breathing
- Skin or lips that look blue, purple, or gray
- Neck stiffness or rash with high fever
- Head injury with loss of consciousness, confusion, vomiting, or poor skin color
- Blood in urine
- Bloody diarrhea
- Sudden lack of energy or is not able to move
- Unconsciousness or lack of response
- Acting strangely or becoming more withdrawn and less alert
- Increasing or severe persistent pain
- A cut or burn that is large, deep, or involves the head, chest, or abdomen
- A burn that is large and involves the hands, groin, or face
Cranial Remolding Orthosis Treatment
Head shape deformities? BJU provides cranial remolding through orthotic treatment
Plagiocephaly refers to the abnormal shape of a baby’s head. The baby’s head may appear to be asymmetrical immediately after birth, or the abnormal shape may become noticeable during the first few months of life. Parents, grandparents, and caregivers are often the first ones to notice the unusual shape of the baby’s head, and generally bring it to a pediatrician’s attention during a regular visit.
Putting the baby in different positions during the day is the best way to prevent plagiocephaly and other head shape deformities. If head shape deformities are noticed, repositioning is the first step for initial treatment. For 4 to 18 months old children with moderate to severe head shape deformities, Beijing United Family Hospital provides cranial remolding orthosis treatment.
The head shape of your baby is scanned first in our clinic; if the baby needs the cranial remolding orthosis treatment, the scan results will be sent to the USA for the manufacture of the orthosis. The orthosis is sent back to our clinic after two weeks, upon which your baby should be taken to our clinic for helmet fitting. The Cranial Remolding Orthosis redirects head growth to improve proportion and symmetry – it is safe and effective.
For more information about cranial remolding treatment, please contact our 24hr service center: 4008-919191, or our Pediatric Department: +86(10) 5927 7222.
Children’s Behavioral and Emotional Developmental Assessment Clinic
Children become strong and mature from birth to 12 years old. As parents, you likely want to know and learn more about your child’s development and share any concerns with a Child Life Specialist, so that the Child Life Specialist can give you some professional intervention plans. For example, you may ask, why can’t my child crawl? Why is my child always crying? Why does my child not want to go to school? Why does my child have an attention problem? Why does my child have a social problem? Why does my child wet the bed? Why does my child speak with a stutter?
In our developmental clinic, we use multiple international standard assessment tools, which provide reliable and effective assessment.
The assessment is carried out by using parent-child friendly activities. After the assessment, you will get professional advice about your child’s development and recommended age-appropriate activities. If your child has any particular needs, we can refer them for future assessment and intervention.
Child Life Program
The Child Life Program in the Pediatric Department at United Family Hospital provides developmental, social, and emotional support to children of all ages.
We help children and families not only adjust to and understand illness and treatment, but also provide professional support to cope with the stress from home and school. Through play, we create a friendly medical environment to help your child feel more comfortable.
Certified Child Life Specialist (CCLS)
Certified Child Life Specialists are trained to work with children and families in medical settings. Through their knowledge of child growth and development and children’s reactions caused by illness and medical procedures, Child Life Specialists comfort patients and their families to gain control over difficult experiences. They also provide developmentally appropriate assessment and intervention to children and families about their parenting issues.
When to call your CCLS?
My child needs help coping during a procedure (blood test, vital sign, IV, CT, MRI, X-Ray, type-B ultrasonic, Echo, stitches and casting, etc.).
My child has difficulty taking medicine.
My child has had injuries caused by a traumatic accident.
My child is coming to the hospital and would benefit from a pre-admission tour.
I have questions about my child’s developmental needs (social, communication, emotional, and attention).
I need suggestions for talking to my child about his or her hospital experience.
I need suggestions for talking to siblings about their sister or brother’s situation.
How can the Child Life Program help?
- Therapeutic Medical Play
Child Life Specialists help patients become more comfortable with medical procedures through play. Child Life Specialists also assist patients and family to cope with medical stress with pain.
- Surgery Tour
Our Pediatric Surgery Department has the on-site “Welcome Walk” tour to help both families and the patient understand their upcoming surgery.
- Playroom/Bedside Activities
Our Child Life team interacts with all pediatric patients, either in the playroom or at the bedside, providing developmentally appropriate support and stimulation.
- Our Child Life team hosts a variety of special events throughout the year and during the holidays.