What conditions may benefit from neurological rehabilitation?
The nervous system is vulnerable to various disorders. It can be damaged by injuries, infections, degeneration, structural defects and tumors, etc. Disorders of the nervous system, which may be helped by physical medicine and rehabilitation, include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Structural, traumatic, or neuromuscular disorders such as brain or spinal cord injury, cervical spondylosis, carpal tunnel syndrome, brain or spinal cord tumors, peripheral neuropathy, and Guillain-Barré syndrome
- Vascular disorders such as stroke, transient ischemic attack (TIA), etc.
- Functional disorders such as seizures, dizziness, and neuralgia headaches
- Degenerative disorders such as Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s, etc.
- Infections such as meningitis, polio, and epidural abscess